The Canadian Celiac Association lists on their web site, what they consider to be mandatory Nutrition Education items to be taught by a Registered Dietitian to newly diagnosed Celiacs (see Required Nutrition Education for Celiacs – CCA).
BetterByDesign Nutrition offers a Celiac Disease Management Package which provides 3 hours of nutrition education that is specifically designed to cover each of the topics listed on the Canadian Celiac Association’s web page, and in sufficient detail so as to enable a newly diagnosed Celiac to safely select foods and ingredients at home and away from home, while enjoying a normal lifestyle.
This package is not limited to newly-diagnosed Celiacs however, as many who have been diagnosed for some time (or those who need to avoid gluten for other reasons) often have ‘gaps’ in what they know. These ‘gaps’ may result in them eating foods or drinking beverages that have gluten in them, or in eating gluten-free foods in restaurants or at friend’s houses that are no longer gluten free, due to cross contamination.
The Celiac Disease Management Package will fill in these important “gaps” so that those who must avoid gluten are confident that they have the information they need to make healthy gluten-free choices.
Celiac Disease Management Package
Below is a breakdown of the nutrition education that this package will provided in two hour and a half sessions (total of 3 hours);
I. In the first Nutrition Education Session in the Celiac Disease Management Package, we will cover;
1. What is Celiac Disease – its prevalence, symptoms (or lack of them), diagnosis, and treatment
2. Nutrition Complications in Celiac Disease – including a. Iron deficiency anemia, b. Lactose Intolerance, c. Osteopenia or Osteoporosis, d. Folate deficiency, e. Vitamin B12 deficiency, f. Vitamin K deficiency, g. Overweight/obesity, h. Underweight and Calorie/Protein deficiency
Depending on the results of your recent lab tests and other clinical factors, we may recommend specific nutrition education to address the above if there is clinical evidence that nutritional complications may be present.
3. Getting Started – what to eat at first – we will teach you three steps to getting started on a gluten-free diet, without feeling overwhelmed by the details.
II. In the second Nutrition Education Session in the Celiac Disease Management Package, we will cover;
4. Ingredients – which ingredients added to a formerly “gluten free product” would make it not gluten free?
5. Gluten-Free Food Ingredients list – extensive 3-column, > 3-page list
6. Non-Gluten-Free Food Ingredients – extensive 3-column, 3-page list
7. What about Alcoholic Beverages? Lists of gluten-free gin, rum, vodka, whiskey, bourbon & scotch, wine, hard ciders, coolers, as well as other alcoholic beverages such as brandy, cognac and liqueurs, etc.
8. What does “Gluten-Free” in alcoholic beverages actually mean?
9. Gluten-Free Shopping in the Lower Mainland
10. Gluten Sources in Medications & Gluten-Free Medications
11. Avoiding Cross-Contamination in Food Preparation – including details and very practical tips to;
a. avoiding cross-contamination at home
b. avoiding cross-contamination at social gatherings
c. avoiding cross-contamination at restaurants – before you go and when you’re there
12. Lower Mainland Restaurants – extensive 10-page list of restaurants that have been reported by people with Celiac disease to be understanding of the need of Celiacs to strictly avoiding gluten.
13. Celiac Medical Expenses for Tax Deductions
14. Recommended Resources – in print and online
Ready to get started?
- Download and complete the Intake and Service Option Form available here and return it to me at the email address on the form with the times you are available for an appointment. If you would like a password-protected form, please send me a note using the Contact Me form on the tab above.
- I’ll email you a choice of appointments then you’ll book the time that suits you best.
- I’ll send you confirmation of your appointment with an invoice for the package which you can pay in the Shop on line via credit credit or directly via e-transfer made out to BBDNutrition Ltd.
Note: When paying via credit card, the cost of services includes the GST (5%).
Have questions? Please send me a note using the Contact Me form.